Get a taste for performing arts at Leeds Metropolitan. Leeds Metropolitan University is offering two unique taster sessions in December to anyone interested in a degree in Dance and Performing Arts.
The University will be showcasing its two brand new and distinctive undergraduate degree programmes in dance taught by industry professionals in state-of-the-art studios at Northern Ballet and Phoenix Dance Theatre’s brand new centre for dance at Quarry Hill, Leeds. The new BA (Hons) Dance course is taught by Rachel Krische, one of the UK’s most acclaimed and successful independent contemporary dance artists.
Students, teachers, parents and friends will have the opportunity to meet the Leeds Metropolitan Dance team on Monday 6 December in a 'have a go' session where they will experience how the team works and the type of dance they are passionate about.
A free professional class followed by a workshop, led by Rachel Krische, will be held at the University’s studio in the brand new Phoenix Dance Theatre/Northern Ballet centre.
Following the workshop there will time for questions and to find out more about the courses as well as the opportunity to visit the range of facilities and study areas at Leeds Metropolitan and experience the city of Leeds.
On Friday 10 December, a taster day for Performing Arts at Leeds Metropolitan will offer an opportunity to get a flavour of the variety of performance practices and activities taking place at the University.
There will be chance to meet the staff team and talk with current students; participate in professional live workshops, share ideas and thoughts about contemporary performance and the creative arts and tour the University’s facilities.
Rebekka Kill, Subject Group Leader for Film, TV and Performing Arts, said:
'The new Dance provision at Leeds Metropolitan is absolutely unique in the region. It is an academic university course but one in which students will dance every day. This is entirely different from the majority of undergraduate dance courses. Our students will be studying dance in the amazing new Northern Ballet Theatre building that also houses Phoenix Dance Theatre. The BA (Hons) Art, Event, Performance, course is completely unique, bringing together live and performance art practices, with contemporary and devised theatre and a focus on events and real world working.
We just can't wait to meet the students and get started which is why we've arranged these taster days. It's an opportunity for those prospective students who really love dance and performance to come and get a taste of what studying with us might be like.'
To book your place on either taster session, and for further details, please
The Dance taster session is for those interested in the BA (Hons) Dance course and BA (Hons) Contemporary Dance Practices (top-up course for those who have already completed the equivalent of two years of a degree programme) and will be held on Monday 6 December, 10am to 3pm.
The Performing Arts session, for those interested in the BA (Hons) Art, Event, Performance course and BA (Hons) Contemporary Performance Practices (top-up) course will be held on Friday 10 December, 10am-1pm.
• Leeds Metropolitan University has 30,000 students and over 300,000 associate students through its partnerships with 24 colleges.
• The University has achieved its best ever Research Assessment Exercise results. Sports-Related Studies is in the top 6 institutions in the country with research rated at the highest levels of 4* and 3*.
• The University’s award-winning learning environments include the iconic Rose Bowl building, awarded Best Commercial Property Development in the 2009 Yorkshire Property Awards; Broadcasting Place, winner of the 2010 Leeds Architecture Awards New Building category and the pioneering Carnegie Village student accommodation.
• Leeds Metropolitan is one of only a handful of UK universities to have been awarded the Carbon Trust Standard.
• The University is home to The UK Centre for Coaching Excellence for sport and disability sport and is 2nd in the British University and Colleges Sport (BUCS) rankings.
• Northern Ballet (previously Northern Ballet Theatre/NBT) is a narrative dance company whose distinctive blend of classical dance and theatre is renowned for captivating new audiences. Their new headquarters on Quarry Hill in central Leeds is the largest purpose-built space for dance outside London.
• Over the last 29 years Phoenix Dance Theatre has grown to be one of Britain's leading contemporary dance companies. From its home in Leeds, Phoenix tours nationally and internationally, bringing inspiring and entertaining dance to the widest possible audience.